Work Weeks 4/25 - 5/7/2022
All of the efforts of cutting the roof trusses with a curve on top were finally put into place. Once the ground crew found the center lift spot on the truss for the lifting straps the process began to hoist them in place. With our seasoned veteran telehandler in the driver seat one by on they were lifted into place. Our roof team adjusted and secured their end as the scissors lift team secured the other end. The process really moved quickly. Later hurricane straps were added at both ends.
Next the rear facia boards were cut and installed by our roof crew.
The next big job was to build two curved roof sections with 8 foot look out boards on the ground. Creating the same curved roof trusses on the end. With blocking every few feet to strengthen the structure and keep in square. With our experienced ground crew we hoisted each section into place and secured them to the top plates. It’s always fun lifting items up and over the power lines.
Next the front facia plates were cut, fitted and screwed in place by our Saturday lady volunteers. It was nice to see them hoisted high into the air and using hand tools to do the job.
Our roofing team made quick work of putting down the roof plywood on the curved roof. From the ground all you could hear was the constant sound of 4x8 sheets of plywood being dropped into place and the constant sound of the air nailer driving in nails all day long. What a wonderful sound to hear! By the end of the Saturday work day all of the roof plywood was in place. Just an amazing amount of work completed.
Steve Schenk put into place the tradition of “topping out” the building by adding a life tree branch to a cross he built and he asked Mike and I to place it at the top of the building. It was an emotional moment for the building team!
On the ground Gene lead the team with installing the 1st level of plywood on the front wall. Lots of time was spent trying to get it perfectly level. The ladies used a level, T-square, circular saw and air nailer which was really nice to see them working with the tools. Great work!
The wall sections for the roof were built on the ground and hoisted into place. Every day the towers height grows. Lastly, we built the final section of the tower to include the wall plywood and ice and water shield was laid on top for temporary water protection and it was hoisted into place. It really looks so nice.
The rain slowed us down a few days and we lost power one day when a squirrel decided to test out the transformer! BGE responded quickly.
On Saturday we were faced with down pours all day so we went to work inside and secured all of the metal door frames in the classroom wing. I would like to see it was a quick and easy process but that wasn’t the case! Lots of cleaning took place and rivers of water pushed outside.
So thankful for all the work that the team does and the great working relationship we have with our Mission Builders friends.
Sadly we had to say goodbye to Arvin and Susan as they left for their home in Minnesota. What an amazing couple who will be truly missed by everyone.
Thanks for all that you do to build our church.
Comments are closed.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.