Work Week 12/6 - 10
A slightly less productive week as we are running out of construction work we can do without roof shingles on the building.
We are busy trying to finalize the HVAC contract and specifics related to the units to be installed.
Still working with a few roofers and we are now close to making a selection.
Working on getting pricing on the exterior Hardie board and PVC a trim.
We finished installing the three layers of fire rated drywall on the exterior eaves. Glad that job is done!
Took a few more trips to the dump with debris. One trip to the metal recycle center weighing over 400 lbs and made $12.80.
During the Summer the sidewall connected to the ladies rest room had to be removed, which had the cornerstone in it. Not sure why the cornerstone was not located on the front of the building. We had the site contractor simply pull the entire wall over and we kept the cornerstone dated 1963. It’s part of the history of the building and so we just didn’t throw it away. Later in the Summer as we removed all of the structural steel holding up the Narthex roof it left a void in the stone wall. So we have decided to relocate the cornerstone into this area and block up the rest of the opening.
The corner stones is crazy heavy and too large to fit in the opening. So in cutting it down to size we discovered inside was a time capsule. So glad we just didn’t discard the cornerstone as we wouldn’t have been able to see the historical documents. Inside was a copy of the Lutheran magazine dated March 1964, several copies of the Maryland gazette, coins, church incorporation, bi-laws, ground breaking and cornerstone laying ceremonies and a picture of the 1961 confirmation class. We will have to create a time capsule and corner plaque for our new sanctuary.
Cut all of the cinder blocks to fit in the Narthex wall opening.
We worked 21.5 hours this week.
Thanks to the team for all of their continued hard work on this big project.
Work Week 11/29-12/3
A lot was accomplished this week. The plumbers finished the water line rough in’s for the three bathrooms and the conference room. The boiler room chimney, which will no longer be used was insulated and closed off. The exterior vents and door vents were also insulated to keep out the cold air. More door security was added for the men’s room and the former sanctuary.
The former sanctuary front wall is covered with tongue and groove wood, which did not extend to the floor as there were multiple levels leading up to the Alter. We couldn’t match the wood so we covered it with drywall as this area will be a storage room. We also patched the one sidewall with drywall where walls intersected. Lots of pieces had to be cut and trimmed to fit. We installed drywall in the Fellowship hall where the electrician will hang the new breaker box.
We made a few dump runs carting off more debris. We spent time cleaning up the fellowship hall and organized it.
Jane Hudgins stopped by to do a thorough job cleaning the warming kitchen and refrigerator. Organized the remaining snacks in plastic containers. Even cleaned the table tops and floor. Place looks great.
We also had a visit from Tom and Wendy Crowe. Tom’s recovering from knee replacement surgery and physical therapy it is going well. Looking forward to seeing Tom return to the work site in the Spring.
We met with a security system company to determine what we can do to protect the construction site now and what we will need in the future.
Still working to obtain a roofing contract. You would think this would be easy!
Thanks for your continued support.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.