Church Work Week 10/11-15
We accomplished so much this week it’s hard to put it into words.
We started the week off building temporary support posts to hold up the roof trusses in the Narthex. Had the concreted been poured a few weeks ago it would have made our life easier but that’s a discussion for another day. Then we hoisted a truss into place and the telehandler started having issues so we had to stop the truss work and call for a technician. The following morning the tech arrived and within a few hours we were operational. We finished lifting the remaining trusses in place and secured them.
Next we added the facia boards to the end of the trusses. The basket we built has really come in hand to make the job safer.
We then learned a new plywood dance step….2 foot, 6 foot. You had to be there to appreciate the directions we received. We were able to cover the entire roof which was a big push.
Next our expert carpenter taught us how to hand build joists to make different level roofs come together to form a valley to collect and move the rain water off the roof. It truly was an amazing feat. The pictures don’t do the work it’s justice.
We then put down the waterproof paper to protect the plywood until we have a roofer on contract. Everyone loves to staple, staple, staple, push out the wrinkles and staple more! Then we used the new fangled stapler to place large staples with plastic washers in specific spots on the roof. I can honestly say that it appears we have master the tool with very limited jam ups.
We closed in the rear of the building where the truss tied into the existing roof over the fellowship hall. Also put up a temporary piece of plywood on the end so we have access to the attic space over the fellowship. We did lose a 4 foot level and after thinking about it and when we last saw it, we returned to the roof and found it inside the attic. Lol
A considerably amount of thought and work has gone into supporting and securing the narthex roof from winter winds from lifting it up. More work next week.
We made one dump run this week.
We re-stacked the trusses into one stack. There are approximately 34 trusses that will have to be cut with a curve like the pop up. So we spent some time laying out the 70 foot radius and cut our first truss. We will use it as a template. They have been now been covered with plastic to protect them over the winter.
Lastly, we took some time to use the telehandler to trim the large oak tree and the one entrance tree to the parking lot.
The cinder block and supplies arrived this week
The site company is supposed to start working to install the fire hydrant next week.
The electrician is close to finishing wiring the classroom wing.
We do not have a drone to fly up in the sky to take pictures of the building, however we do have a guy who has no fear of the guy driving the telehandler nor heights! The pictures he took are just awesome.
Like I say every week the work you are doing is so impressive. Your dedication to the project continues to impress me. We learn something new everyday for which I am thankful.
Thanks for all that you do.
Comments are closed.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.